The USA Rugby Referees Selection Committee convened on July 3rd and July 23rd, 2014. The process included reviewing and discussing, in detail, all the current referees on the panel and identified prospects, totaling 30 referees.
The goal of USA Rugby Referees is to identify and develop the best referees in the country to maintain excellence and consistency to top level competitions nationally and to develop referees to represent the USA internationally. It is key to have a group that works together, supports one another and wants to be successful. Richard Every, Referee Manager, says, “We have worked almost 7 years now to build a team culture of success through commitment, values, transparency, communication and accountability. It is an ever-evolvoing continued education process that includes a full
circle of contributors that include referees, performance reviewers, referee coaches, team coaches and management. This year we have also extended our resources through supporting development with five referee camps that included over 50 participants ranging from age 16 through 45 and included both men and women referees. These camps were attended by many candidates that show a lot of potential to be top referees in the future.”
Requirements for USA Rugby Referees Panel include:
* Clearly and consistently demonstrates a degree of comfort, competence, capability and confidence in refereeing high level matches;
* Demonstrates long-term commitment as referee;
* Responds appropriately to performance analysis & evaluation;
* Demonstrates self-motivation and willingness to self-analyze;
* Demonstrates high knowledge & understanding of the game;
* Demonstrates mental agility & adaptability;
* Benchmarks successful fitness requirements;
* Contributes positive energy to and operates well within the High Performance System;
* Demonstrates commitment to the community, and contributes to the development of match officials;
Additional requirements for USA Rugby Referees Elite Group include:
* Clearly and consistently demonstrates superior degree of comfort, competence, capability and confidence in the context of the top matches officiated in major competitions and Championships, and
exhibits skills worthy of international nominations and appointments;
* Demonstrates very high knowledge & understanding of the game;
* Demonstrates excellent ambassadorial skills.
Selection Committee 2014/5
Ed Todd, Kat Todd, Davey Ardrey, Peter Watson, Fred Thomas, Richard Every
Tom Lyons, Gareth Morgan and Chris Henshall have retired from the National Panel. They have all represented USA Rugby Referees internationally in test matches and have refereed many major national finals. “It is always a difficult decision to retire from top level refereeing, but we respect their decisions as they have increased work and family commitments. We thank them for their excellent
contribution to USA Rugby over the years and hope they will remain involved in other roles in the near future”, says Referee Director, Ed Todd.
Shawn Bastic, from the Midwest has been promoted to the National Panel, and both Kurt Weaver and Derek Summers have been promoted to the Elite Group.
USA Rugby Referees Elite Group, in alphabetical order, are:
USA Rugby Referees National Panel, in alphabetical order, are: